Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Turning 28 taught me that I am blessed with great friends.

Last week on June 25th, I turned 28.

I’m officially in my late 20’s. 10 years removed from high school. Almost 4 years into marriage.

I got some really cool things, like a Batman figurine and documents from my wife stating that she’ll be officially changing her last name to mine.

But, in addition to traditional gift giving and celebrations, I like to take some time to myself to reflect on my past year at 27, and to make resolutions for year 28. One of those resolutions is to be better about keeping in touch with my friends.

So, I opened up my Facebook and smiled as I clicked on my “notifications” tab – I had already received a few birthday wishes. Sticking to my resolution, I replied. And not just a simple “thanks!”. No. My friends deserve better than an automated response.

What flatters me is that most of my friends responded in turn. We had short conversations. But it’s enough to let me know that they really do care beyond an automated birthday greeting.

At the end of the day and dozens of small conversations, it really struck me – I am blessed with wonderful friends from all over the world. I am a very lucky guy.
If you haven’t talked to someone in a long time, shoot them a quick message. Bring up an old memory. You’ll be surprised at how far a friendship can reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment