Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

And Off He Goes

 A few months back my younger brother, Kenneth, told me he enlisted in the Air Force. He had done JROTC in high school and had originally planned on enlisting afterwards. But life events happened and he opted to try out college instead. 


After giving college a shot, he decided it wasn't for him. At first, I was upset that he didn't finish school, but then I realized, school isn't for everyone. Everyone must decide their own path, whether it be school first then a career, or a career right away. It takes longer for some people to realize what they want in life and what they think will fulfill them. In the end, the only thing that matters is that you're happy. 


In Kenneth's case, he chose the military. 

When Kenneth was in high school, I had never seen him so confident and sure of himself. He was a leader and a friend to everyone. He was proud to wear uniform even if it was, at the time, just for high school credits.

I think part of the reason he joined was because my dad had served 22 years in the military. Though the military life isn't for everyone, we as a family are grateful for what the military had provided for us.

Seeing Kenneth choose this path wasn't too surprising. As siblings we always want what's best for each other and I truly believe that this is a good choice for Kenneth. He can get back his confidence and be happy doing something he's passionate about. How many people can say that they love what they do?

I don't think it really hit me that he was going to be gone until he actually left. I had anticipated that he would leave and then I'd be sad, but I don't think it has really settled in yet. When we saw him off, I was overcome by emotion; I was sad but happy and, more importantly, proud of the young man we were sending off. I know that mom would have been proud too and that no matter what, she can keep watch over him while he is in boot camp. After all, August isn't that far away and we will definitely be there to see him graduate and wearing that uniform with pride.

Good luck on your new journey, Kenneth. See you soon little brother, we love you tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment